I hurt my back yesterday at work while moving a ladder. I did not realize how serious the injury was until this morning when I woke up and could hardly move. How do I file for workers compensation benefits?

You should promptly notify your employer when you are injured on the job. Failure to do so can interfere with your obtaining workers compensation benefits.

It is common with certain types of injuries to not realize how seriously you are hurt until the following day. You should immediately contact your employer, explain the circumstances of the fall, and file for your workers compensation benefits. Normally your employer will have the appropriate forms to assist you in filing for worker’s compensation. If they do not or if you meet any resistance from your employer you should not hesitate to contact the Texas Workers Compensation Commission directly at (409) 899-5589 or consult with an attorney about where to proceed from there.

In reading this article please remember we are providing general answers to broad questions, your individual situation is unique and cannot be dealt with throughly in the space of a newspaper article. When you are facing a serious legal issue, you should always consult with an attorney about your individual circumstances and how they impact the general principles discussed in this article. You should also not hesitate to call me directly at WaldmanSmallwood, P. C. 833-9151, and I will be happy to visit with you.

Tom Oxford, Attorney
WaldmanSmallwood Law Firm, P.C.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.